A government backed insurance scheme can get Britain’s live music and events industry back to work when it is safe to do so Jools Holland,…
Flood Damage Prevention – Home Insurance Summer Tips
Sadly in Britain, summer doesn’t always mean sunshine and some of our more catastrophic weather events have happened at this time of year. If you live in an area prone to flooding here are some tips to minimize the devastation caused by floods.
- Sign up for Flood-line Warnings Direct by calling Floodline on 0845 988 1188 or by visiting the Environment Agency website.
- Prepare a flood kit of essential items such as a broom, spade, mop and bucket; domestic detergent and disinfectant; rubber boots, gloves and protective clothing; waterproof torch and radio; bottled water for drinking.
During a flood
- If floodwater is about to enter your building, turn off the gas, electricity and water supplies if it is safe to do so. DO NOT touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water.
- Gas and electricity supplies should remain switched off until a qualified professional has checked the system thoroughly. Wiring, appliances and pipe-work should also be inspected for safety and efficiency.
After a flood
- Do not throw away any items until your insurer or their loss adjuster tells you it is OK to do so.
- Make a list of any damaged items that you need to throw away before you dispose of them. Take a note of make and model numbers, and take photographs of any damage if you have a camera to hand.
For more useful tips to stay safe this summer take a look at the full article Summer Hints and Tips